Re: [DML] Re: Directional disengage no longer works properly

Re: [DML] Re: Directional disengage no longer works properly

Joe,

Sorry to take you to task, but I can't believe this advice from an automobile
professional.

The steering wheel and the steering shaft both have alignment marks. When they are
aligned and the steering wheel is centered, the steering rack is in the center of it's
range so that you have equal 'lock to lock' turning. If the car does not go straight with
the steering wheel centered, the car has suspension problems.

The proper solution is to find out WHY a car does not go straight when the steering wheel
is centered and then fix the problem. Carried to a ridiculous extreme, your "quick and
simple way to center your steering wheel" could lead to a car that could go straight or
turn left but could not turn right because the rack is already at it's right extreme.

Hank Breer
VIN 1141