Re: Noisy fuel pump (still!) (and again!)

Re: Noisy fuel pump (still!) (and again!)

There could be several reasons for the fuel to get hot.
1) You are in a hot climate
2) there is a problem with the pressure regulater set too high causing
the fuel to heat up as it circulates in the system.
3) when the tank is low the fuel will get hotter as there is less fuel
to dissapate the heat into.
4) air leak in the pick-up hose.
To solve the heat and possibly the pump noise problem at the same time
would be to try to keep more fuel in the tank. When the pump is
submerged in fuel it is much quieter and will run cooler. If you think
the filters are a restriction just try running without them for a
short time and see if things are better. It is very easy when
installing the pump into the tank to slighly turn it causing the
pick-up line to kink, this could happen even with a spring inside the
hose so be very careful as you install the pump. A pinhole or tear in
the hose will cause an air leak causing a noisy pump and probably
contributing to hotter than normal fuel. If these problems go away as
you keep the tank full then you know what you will have to do.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> I'm still trying to find out how to keep my fuel pump quiet after it
gets
> hot. Here is what I have done so far:
>
> Replaced fuel pump: still noisy.
> Replaced fuel suction line with PJ Grady's & installed make-shift
NAPA fuel
> suction screen: still noisy.
>
> I figured that maybe my problem was from the new fuel suction line
> collapsing or from the cross-reference fuel suction screen. I
installed a