Re: [DML] catalytic heat shield

At an SEDOC event about two years ago in Georgia, a guy not on the DML,
Byrne Henninger was demonstrating a new heat shield kit. This is made of a
flexible waterproof material that wraps around the cat (like a cuff) and is
held in place by some metal brackets. It was very well done. Because the
sheild is so flexible, I don't think you have to move any part of the car to
get it in place. Byrne is the same tinkerer who designed new front lower
control arms and a kit that allows the rear suspension to take common
aftermarket shocks. (The guy ain't no dummy.)

I think that the heat shield for the catalytic converter is very important.
In the archives you can read about situations where a rich running engine
will cause the cat to glow red hot. I have seen a DeLorean that has had
this happen before. The owner had to replace the muffler because it was
damaged by the excessive heat. He didn't replace the cat; although, I'm
sure the it is toast. The part of the frame next to the cat has the epoxy
all cracked, flaking & rusted. In comparison, the matching part of the
frame on the other side of the engine compartment still looks new. Perhaps
it is the case that if your engine never runs too rich, then you won't need
a heat shield for the cat, but I wouldn't take that chance.

Probably the best way to get in touch with Byrne is to check out John
Hervey's web site, http://www.specialtauto.com/ since John is selling
Byrne's front lower control arms & rear shock kits. I'm not sure if he is
selling the heat shields, but he would be the one to ask.

Walt Tampa, FL VIN 03633 WATSDAT ?