Re: Yet another attempt at gullwings....

Re: Yet another attempt at gullwings....

According to the article, it's a design that should make ingress,
and egress of the vehicle much easier. Not exactly a new
concept since it is something that the DeLorean owners have
known for the past 21 years now... Another "feature" is that the
tops are removable for storage in the trunk. If it looks like a duck,
or in this case T-tops, it is.

>From a functional POV, it isn't a great design. The Bricklin doors
are automatic, and the DeLorean doors have straps & handles
to grip to close the door, but are mounted low enough to be
within reach of the passenger. And when closed, the straps are
not visible. These doors have neither feature, nor could they
feasably have them. I'm not a betting man, but I'd say that the first
complaint from owners will be pinching their fingers on the front
portion of the glass when attempting to close the roof.

Weather sealing is going to be another big problem. The hinges
are exposed, wich means that the bolts holing them in are going
to be MUCH more prone to rust. And the door sills would also
need to be redesigned to accomodate the higher flow of water.
Depending upon the size of the roof lip, and the location of the
inner door seal, pressure washing is going to be out of the
question. And depending upon the placement of the rubber
seals, wind noise may become a problem.

Another thing to note would be the front glass. Since there is no
"spider cage" to give extra support, there may be a problem with
the windshields cracking. (this isn't a dig at anyone, just an
observation from an engineering standpoint). If a person had
difficulty getting in and out of the car, it can be assumed that they
would have a larger build than the normal person, and thus
weigh more. If they have a difficult time getting out, they may grab
onto the corner of the windshield to pull themselves up. Without
any reinforcements in the underbody, this could be a definate
danger of cracking the windsheild glass. This I know because
people who have gotten into my car, and are not used to t have
grabbed this very same spot. I always tell them not too.

It just goes to show you that no matter how hard other car
companies try, they can't match the DeLorean!

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"