actuators

My apology, Michael. I'm not sure where the "5-6lb. solenoids" came from. Your original post said 3 pounds ("Your door strut and your torsion bars are not affected by the weight of the Solenoids that weigh only three pounds a piece.") Even at 3lb. that is 12 TIMES heavier than my actuators. When mine are compact, inexpensive, lightweight, and have a zero failure rate, it still confounds me why you would recommend anything else, especially based on your experience with ONE installation. Did I miss something there?

I still have no idea what you meant about "tapping into the upper armature" or whatever. I have seen several installations where solenoids were used to pull on one of the DMC long lock rods, using parallel clamps, and that is not the way to do it - not enough leverage and too much chance of slippage.

You know, I never really wanted to market door opening kits for one simple reason - with every one installed my own setup is a little less unique. But the number of people wanting them forced me into offering kits. Maybe someday when "there are other options and places to buy from" I'll quit and let them deal with the criticism. (Yes I'm aware Don Steger has installed some, but I don't believe he offers kits. And as for the "50 other sites out there that sell both actuators and solenoid shaved door handle kits for far less money" they are not intended for DeLoreans, and I'd wager the sellers can not tell you how to install them in one.) But as I have said many times this isn't rocket science - anyone handy with installing remote controls and knowledeable about DeLorean wiring can do this. But please don't ask me how to make someone else's setup work ("Darryl where do you install your actuators on your doors?").

Okay, was that more civil? Guess my meds are wearing off.....

Darryl Tinnerstet
Specialty Automotive
McCleary, WA
www.delorean-parts.com