Re: [DML] A new alternator problem! (And a radar detector install to boo

Re: [DML] A new alternator problem! (And a radar detector install to boot)

Maybe if this alternater problem was properly diagnosed before
throwing parts at the problem someone might have noticed the bulb was
missing before going through the expense and trouble of removing and
replacing the alternater only to find out it wasn't the source of the
trouble! Mechanics do this all the time to the expense of the owners
who trust the mechanic to "fix it right the first time". Since you
can't take the alternater back to the store he leaves it in and tells
the customer it was the alternater when in fact it was a 90 cent bulb
and a $2 bulb holder. By avoiding the diagnoses step you don't skip it
if you guessed wrong. I always prefer to know the source of a problem
to the extent I can before I condemm things to the trash bin. You have
no idea how many good parts get thrown away by "mechanics" with the
customers paying all the way. All this might have taken was to take a
look at the alternater light with the key on and motor not running! If
it doesn't light up something is wrong in the circuit and may be the
thing preventing the alternater from charging. A quick glance at the
indicater bulbs on start-up verifys that the circuit is functioning
and the bulbs aren't burnt out. This is good advice for most cars!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757