Starter soleniod Circuit Upgrade question

Starter soleniod Circuit Upgrade question

Mark posted the link to the DMCNEWS article about the starter solenoid
upgrade for VINs earlier than 2547.
(http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/starterfix.html). The page states:
"This condition is generally displayed by a clicking noise at the solenoid
without any starter cranking."

I had a similar problem (no start), but I did not have the solenoid clicking
sound. The voltage dropped between 2 and 3 volts while attempting to start,
but there was no solenoid clicking or starting at all. I'm pretty sure I
had fuel pump and freq valve action. The battery was fully charged, but
dropped to about 9 volts when turning the key (I had a voltmeter monitoring
the harness voltage, not the dash gauge). All the fuses were fine. I
could not start the car for about 30-40 minutes... then all of a sudden it
just started up - I have no idea why. I've started the car about 20 times
since then without any problems. Should I do the solenoid update? If it
wasn't that, what could it have been?

Thanks,

-Hank #1619