Re: [DML] new owner!

--- dmcjohn <dmcjohn@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> Well, I finally own a DeLorean! Vin
> #SCEDT26T5BD003810. It is a
> September 1981 (September 15th according to the
> writing under the
> headliners) with black leather and a 5 speed trans.

Hi John,
Congatulations on your purchase and welcome to the
world of Delorean ownership. I don't know what you
paid for the car, but i do have some tips that i think
will help you.
I know you want the performance
stuff(springs,shocks,zilla parts, etc..) But there are
a few things you should consider getting first. Make
sure your car has ALL the recalls and service bullitin
work done. Since your car is an early 81 (mine has an
August 81 build date) these will need to be taken care
of before anything else. Make sure the altenator is
upgraded to at least 105amp, as your battery will
probably not hold it's charge, especially if you want
a nice sound system. Check the fuel lines, pump and
tank, since your car has such low miles ( as mine has
only 20,000) , your fuel system make need work. Also,
change the oil and engine coolant immediately, as this
also may be old and of poor quality. Check all
soleniods, and fuses, replace with new ones. Don't
open and close the windows too much until you can get
the motors updated, as they can get stuck in the
"down" position and make it hard to use as a daily
driver.Make sure your steering column is ok and that
the tie rods are in good order.All this work can be
done at PJ Gradys, and will be costly. I know, i had
most of that work done after i purchased my Delorean
in August of 01. Rob Grady had me do all that work and
i still want to change all the hoses and replace my
radiator with the three core unit he sells, before i
start with the springs/shocks/stereo/CD player/etc..
Believe me, doing this stuff first will make your car
very reliable, and you'll have a car that looks good,
but runs great.. I hope I was helpful.
Sincerely,
Steve T.