Solution to my alternator problem

I got a call yesterday from John Hervey regarding my alternator problem
and he suggested the same thing Walt touched on here on the list: A
problem with my alternator idiot light in the instrument cluster. This
was the problem, so I figured I'd comment on it here both to thank John
and Walt for their help and to get this solution into the archives.

I opened up the bottom of the dash and reached up in there to check on the
bulbs and disovered that the alternator light was worse than burnt out--it
was entirely missing, including the little plastic bulb holder. The
lambda light was also missing, although that one isn't, to my knowledge,
going to cause me any problems.

I stole the plastic socket for the oil pressure warning light and put it
and a fresh bulb in the alternator bulb's position and now my alternator
works perfectly! I've ordered a couple of replacement sockets so I can
get bulbs installed in all the positions, and I replaced all the bulbs as
long as I was up in there.

Of course now I am asking myself, how was I getting any voltage at all off
my old Motorola alternator? Admittedly, it was very low voltage (8-11 or
so), but it was there nonetheless. The only explanation this uneducated
shadetree mechanic can muster is that the old alternator's coil spent
enough time in a charged state that it was permanently magnetized, at
least slightly. Does this make any sense to any of the better mechanics
out there?

Anyway, the problem is solved, and I'm a happy camper. I really
appreciate John Hervey's efforts in solving this problem. He called me on
his own nickle to discuss it with me. I'm really not used to getting that
level of service, so I was pleasantly surprised. I highly recommend
anyone who has not dealt with John not hesitate to do so.

Also thanks to Walt here on the list, although his explanation didn't
arrive until after the problem was solved. Maybe next time. ;-)

Thanks all.

-andrew
#4115, Houston TX