Re: Grease

Be careful in the use of silicone containing compounds. Two very
important things to keep in mind are that if you use silicone anywhere
near something you will paint it can cause tremendous contamination
problems meaning "fish eyes". In the shop I had we used a spray on the
TIG welders to keep the spatter from sticking inside the shields. That
spray contaminated the paint room over 200 feet away. We had to
convert to an non-silicone anti-spatter spray to finally eliminate the
problem. The other thing to watch out for is some silicone compounds
can contaminate and destroy the O2 sensor on the car. There have been
cases of silicone containing compounds getting into the air intake and
wiping out the O2 sensor. Using the wrong (not sensor safe) silicone
sealer is also known to kill O2 sensors. Silicone also has a property
known as "creep". It tends to migrate. It can get into switches and
insulate the contacts. A few years back the telephone companies used
silicone to lubricate the mechanical switches in their phone
exchanges. The silicone crept into the contacts and caused erratic
operation, it took hours and hours to mechanically clean out the
silicone.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Les Huckins <jhuckins@xxxx> wrote:
> In the electronics world there are some interesting compounds, among
> these there is a very special silicone grease. Actually this grease
is
> offered as a heat-sink compound for mounting transistors but it's
also
> the very best lubricant of it's type I've yet encountered. By
General
> Cement, GC number is 10-8101 (formerly 8101S) available at
electronics