Re: delorean quality formerly 'live the dream ad' (LONG!)

Re: delorean quality formerly 'live the dream ad' (LONG!)

You do bring up questions, and a coupIe of valid points I do
admit. Yeah, the DeLorean is after all just a car. Come to think
about it, why should anyone feel so passionite about an
innanimate object? After all, it is just steel, fiberglass, rubber,
plastic, glass, some leather and vinyl. A little petrolium lubricants
here and there, a few copper wires. It's just a car. We've paid
thousands of dollars for our cars. Some of us use our cars for
daily transportation, some for recreational use, and some of us
simply keep them in garages to look at. So why all the fuss?
Well, let's try and find out.

Do I put too much faith in my DeLorean? No. How far does my
faith go? To be honest, I trust my DeLorean with my life. I can say
with full confidence that I absolutely trust my DeLorean with my
life! How can I prove it? If I didn't feel safe, I wouldn't even open
the door, let alone get behind the wheel. After all, I could be rear
ended, t-boned, hit by a tractor-trailer. I could drive off a bridge
into a river, I could flip upside down, gasoline could pour out,
cover me, ignite, and I could burn to death, right? WRONG! I don't
believe if any of this happened I would be killed. And I prove it
with my life everytime I turn that key. Why? Because my car is that
well designed/engineered/made! Since she's come into my
hands, her progress has come quite a ways. In that time, I've
also become quite familiar with her. I now trust my car since I
know what she is capable of, and I've replaced most of what
needed to be done. I don't even carry a life hammer inside. I
dobut that I'll flip over, and be trapped inside. If the accident really
is that bad, I'll probably be too dazed, or flat out incappable of
getting out of the car by myself. I might as well carry a rabbits foot
for good luck. Because I've always veiwed those hammers as
"supersticious" items.

Comparing the DeLorean to modern and/or cars mass
produced by big name auto companies is quite honestly apples
to oranges. Remember this: The DeLorean was produced by a
company that was just starting out. It had limited production, a
limited timeframe to be built, limited assembly times, and an
engineering firm that did not dedicate themselve the 100%
attention that the project not only deserved, but PAID for! By
comparison, vehicles such as the new Ford Thunderbird have
been in production for years. I've seen pictures of prototype
Fieros from the early to mid 80's that echo Saturn SL1s & 2s that
were not released until the middle to late 90's. And of course
these vehicles will most of the time use a mix and match of test
proven components that have been used on previous cars. Did
you know that the same Eagle Premier that uses a PRV motor
also shares it's rear braking system with the Dodge Viper? And
of course the same goes for chassis and suspension design.
Even Jaguars are no longer the same. They now share the exact
same suspension and chassis as Ford Crown Victorias, and
Escorts! The DeLorean while designed by competent people
was a car that was truly made from scratch. It utilitzed concepts,
but wasn't able to directly borrow them for it's application. It was
too unique.

You also had a good # of corporate employees that were basicly
rejects from other car companies. Wheather it was the quality of
parts, or the quality of employees, there were some areas that
were lacking. The DeLorean project had odds against it from all
sides. The fact that the car even made it into production is a
small miracle in itself.

Did the company fail miserably? I'd say so. After all, the goal of
the company was to stay in business for an infinate period of
time. So yes, absolute failure is of course miserable. Is it John Z.
DeLorean's personal fault? I mean, is he absolutely
responsible? NO! DMC had plenty of help from all sides around
that brought it to it's knees. If you want to focus on one person in
particular, how about Sol Shenk? (or however you spell his
name) Sol ran Consolidated International. What later became
KAPAC. And of course that is the company that auctioned off
DMC's assesests, and ran The DeLorean Depot for many years
selling parts off. Sol Shenk was offered DMC & DMCL on a silver
platter. This company that took years for JZD & crew to
assemble and build, was offered up by the British Govt. to him.
He had everything! A manufacturing plant, a supply of currently
built cars to immediatly sell, a ready to go set of plans for a turbo
car, the final revisions for the DMC-12, a 30 year parts supply,
and the hopes and dreams of 2500 factory workers. He alone
was given the opprotunity to save DMC. He could have been the
hero of the 80's. An automotive saviour bigger than Lee Iacoca,
and a success story to rival that of the software companies of the
time. But no. He snubbs his nose at it all, and by doing so he
nails DMC's coffin shut. A company that now had everything
going for it, he finally doomed.

So now, what are we left with? Cars. Thousands of stainless
steel DeLoreans. And what have we decided to do with them?
You need only read a single days worth of postings to discover
what's happened. While only a short production car, the
DeLorean has not only developed, but it has earned a well
dedicated following. Many people here do what they can to keep
their cars on the road. Even fellow owers who own Concourse
cars that are not driven that often. You can sure bet that if they
wanted to, their cars are ready to hit the pavement at the drop of
a hat!

And the final aspect. Why own a DeLorean? To me, it is the
perfect car. Not only for function, but ideals. I love the fact that I
drive a car that was ment to be driven forever. And this the car
accomplishes by way of generating it's own following, and by
looking so updated. I don't care where, or WHEN you are. The
DeLorean looks absolutely perfect. No matter the year, the
DeLorean is as modern as the cars that try and surround it. I
also love the idea that I have purchased a car for life. It's
comfortable, looks nice, and I have no social reasons to sell it. If
I now choose to purchase a new car off the lot, it's because I
want to, not because I have to. the wait was well worth it. I own
my dream car, I have no monthly payments, I'm not pressured
into buying something else, and I'm beyond content. It truly is fun
to drive my car. I work with people who own Camaros and
Mustangs. They always nit-pick at their cars. Wheather it's
dropping cash for a new exhaust system, a stereo, wheels,
ignition system, etc..., they are never happy! There is always
something that they NEED to do to their cars to satisfy them.

And there are policical reasons that I own my car. I don't agree
with any car mfgs today on what a car should be. So rather then
spend my hard earned money on something new, I have exactly
what I want, and I am happier. And of course in a world where
every other car on the road has a cartoon character urinating on
somebody elses car logo, the DeLorean is exempt. And of
course it just feels like a mature car.

So I guess in the end here, the DeLorean isn't just a car. It is a
statement for some. And as far as quality is concerned, who
knows. If I believed everything about the DeLorean I read in print,
I guess I wouldn't own one. I know that there are a few original
owners on the list here. I guess they would be the best ones to
ask about what it was like to own a brand new DeLorean.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"
Living the dream, and defying the world!