From: Martin Gutkowski [mailto:webmaster@xxxx]
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2002 5:19 AM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Control Pressure Regulator/Twin Turbos [long]

Hi All,
<SNIP>
Secondly, On #2727's engine, there's a vacuum hose which apparently has
no business being where it is. Dave Stragand very kindly supplied us
with the Island documentation, and there's nothing in it about this
particular hose. He confirmed there's no such hose on his engine.You can
see it in this picture

http://www.delorean.co.uk/pictures/DCP02382.JPG

It's the the right of the centre of the picture, and comes out of the
left hand manifold. This hose goes off into a T-piece and one of the
connecting hoses disappears off into the frame at the far left of the
engine bay (around the same place as the A/C hoses). The other hose is
hanging off it loosely. There's about enough length to get it to the
charcoal cannister but no apparent port or connection for it. Anyone any
ideas? I've blocked it with a screw for now. What does the charcoal
cannister do? Currently all three hoses on the diagram are connected.

Lastly, in talking to Dave Stragand, and reading up as much as I can
about turbocharging (including picking the brains of firstly an engine
tunng expert, and secondly a friend who has a raft of self-taught
knowledge on turbocharging). The Island system on #2727 has no cats and
employs these very simple pressure sensors on the left intake manifold
to detect when the system's under boost and disconnects the lambda
sensor, putting the lambda computer into "slightly-rich" mode. In other
words, it's a cheap and cheerful way of putting more fuel in the
cylinders when under boost. In my searching the web, I found this
intriguing product and one of the comments from the tuning expert was
"this would be very useful on a modified engine"

http://www.milford.ndirect.co.uk/kstar.html

Has anyone seen this product before?

#2727 does not have a knock sensor either, nor does/did it have a
re-curved rotor arm (it needed replacing anyway). I think in combination
with the K-star, the potential for fine tuning an Island twin engine is
huge.

Best Wishes

Martin