Re: MY tight steering problem!

You have two separate problems. No amount of lubrication is going to
help with excessive play in the steering. To determine the source of
the looseness someone turns the steering wheel back and forth while
someone else looks for the source of the missing movement. It is going
to be the column universals, rack, or tie rod ends.
For the tightness lubrication MAY help. If it is not the universal
joints it will most likely be the rack in which case both problems may
be solved with the replacement of 1 part. It is dangerous to drive a
car with the symptoms you describe as high "break out" forces make it
hard to make small driving corrections. Play in the steering could
also cause high rates of wear on the tires not to mention difficulty
staying in your lane! Check the air in your tires as low pressures
could cause the steering to be harder than it should. 23 psi for the
front-30 for the rear 60 for the spare. As per decal in glove box.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Soma576@xxxx wrote:
> hey everyone,
>
> last year my D had an intermittent problem with the steering, and
now that i
> have my car running again after major service, i took it out this
weekend and