MY tight steering problem!

hey everyone,

last year my D had an intermittent problem with the steering, and now that i
have my car running again after major service, i took it out this weekend and
the problem is back. here's the situation:

the steering wheel has some play in it, about an inch either way when you are
driving straight. that's fine. however if you need to take a turn, the
steering wheel suddenly has LOTS of resistance as you try to turn it. it
seems to have spots in it that are really bad, and it is worse turning left,
but turning right the problem is there too. it's so bad you have to turn the
wheel with both hands, both going into the turn and coming out.

my first thought was that my steering column bushing was hanging it up. my
old bushing was in really bad shape, it was all chewed up, fit loosely, it
was garbage. i got the column out and put a new bushing in, but it's not
really any better. it just doesn't rattle anymore. does anyone have any
idea what the problem is? i'm thinking it's either the universal joints on
the steering shaft or something else in the front suspension.

i'll probably bring the car in this week to my local garage for a lube job.
i'd like to see if they can figure it out if no one has any ideas....

thanks!
Andy

Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596