Re: Simple questions

Where to begin, where to begin...

As you will find out from others, and as you research, the drivetrain
in the DeLorean is quite a reliable one. It's just not a popular one
in the US. Matter of fact, I only know of 4 cars in the US that use
the PRV based engine. DeLorean, Volvo 260 & 760, and the Chryler "K"
cars Premier & Monaco. So knowlege and parts for the engine are not
as widespread as more common cars. However, it is used widely in
Europe. Good, strong engine, but is killed by excessive heat damage
from improperly maintained cooling systems.

For engineering items, the DeLorean isn't all that bad. In the
automotive since, it is just another car. There are quirks, but they
are easy enough to correct. And most repairs are not that
complicated/difficult. You just need the knowlege to do them. For a
very competent DIY'er, the DeLorean can be quite a pleasureable car
to own. You can do most work yourself, and the results are mostly
immediate after repairs!

As far as problems are conceren, there is one big problem that the
DeLorean is subject to: A bad owner. This isn't nessisarily someone
who physicly abuses the car, or let's it rot in the driveway. They
can have the best of intentions at heart. But if they don't have to
proper knowlege to know what repairs are nessisary, AND how to do
them, that can be just as damaging!

So the best insurance is the opposite: Knowlege! The DeLorean is just
like any other car. Wheather you're buying last years model, or a
postwar classic, the same rules apply. You need to know what you're
getting into before you make a purchse. A good amount of knowlege
will tell you what to look for, and what to avoid. Ask questions,
read books and archives, and study all you can. Then decide what kind
of car you want.

The DML is a good place to start. But it does seem a bit backwards
for someone who is new to the realm of DeLoreans. In other words it's
like shopping for a particular new car. But instead of starting in
the showroom for the car you want, you begin in the garages where the
cars are being repaired. Mainly technical questions and answers are
posted here for particular issues, diagnotic procedures, and repair
procedures. But for the hands on person, it is perfect to give them
ideas about what's involved. While I know I don't speak for everyone
here, I feel pretty confident that the majority of DeLorean owners
positive expieriences far outwiegh any negative ones. It's just that
this being mainly a repair forum, you don't always get to hear about
them!

Good luck to you in your search, and welcome!

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Martin Pajak" wrote:
> Hi,
> I've always loved the DeLorean and I interested in picking one up.
> I went through a lot of sites but none talked about major problems
with the cars.