Re: Vent troubles

In a message dated 1/28/02 5:09:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tgoodwin@xxxx writes:

> No matter what mode I turn the blower to, it is stuck blowing air
> through the floor vents.
>
> I've been reading through the archives and found this problem listed
> many times. From what I can tell it's either the acuators or the mode
> switch itself. The switch seems fine. I pulled it out and could see
> no broken pieces. Is there some way to test it function? How about
> the actuators?

I had the same problem. You can't tell by just looking at it without
disassembling it. I rebuilt the mode switch, but it still didn't cure the
problem. Put in a different mode switch, "used but supposedly working" ... no
improvement. I hooked up a small piece of clear hose to siphon on by mouth
and used it to see if I could tell if the actuators worked... the one I
tested did. And see if I could detect any difference in the mode switch,
which I could. I could say "crude but effective," but for the fact I still
couldn't cure my problem. So we'll leave it at "crude." Fortunately I was
scheduled for service at PJ Grady. (Exhaust manifolds, etc.) Rob combined
parts from both mode switches to make one good one. Checked and glassbeaded
the rusted (rheostat?) in the motor area, and redid my fuse block. (Oh yeah,
high fan speed wasn't working either. Arghhh!) And he noticed a loose wire
in back of the switch. I have big hands, and no eyeballs on the end of my
fingers, so that doesn't help. Rob fixed all that, and now it works great.
You can always send your mode switch to Rob or your favorite D vendor to
check out and either rebuild or replace. Now my D sounds great, defrosts
great... it was worth the wait!

-Wayne A. Ernst
vin 11174
DMCTech Group