Exhaust returning from tips

This past Saturday I noticed light gray smoke coming from the engine.
My butt puckered. Frantically, I lifted the louvres to find the
source. I discovered that it was only exhaust coming from the rear of
the chrome exhaust tips back into the engine, yet I was still getting
exhaust to the outside as well. I took the tips off and saw no
obstructions. Should these have some sort of heat resistant gasket or
is this just some sort of freaky goings-on?