Re: Alignment Toe-In Question

As per the Workshop manual A:01:03 Tow-in (we call it toe) is 3mm
(0.12) per wheel. Don't try to overanylize this. The shop will know
how to set this. The theory is the wheels are set pointing together
slightly (pigeon toed) so as you go down the road they tend to spread
apart, that is turn outward. By setting the toe inward just a little
they will point straight ahead when the play is factored in. On
H:08:01 it references toe and calls for 1/2 degree per wheel +0 -10
minutes. Make sure that the shop that does this work has a 4 wheel
rack. The thrust angle (rear toe) is important. See K:08:01. Toe has a
major effect on tire life, and centering of the steering wheel. It can
also cause "leading" that is a tendency not to go straight ahead. The
toe for the front is usually not far off, the rear toe is often off.
That causes a tendency for torque steer, that is as you use power the
car tends to go off to the left or the right and increases tire wear
on the rear tires. Ride height affects toe. If the car is lowered it
must be checked and adjusted if needed.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757