Re: Insurance...

If you have "ordinary" car insurance and you use your "D" as a daily
driver and it gets damaged the insurance company looks up the value in
the "blue book" or something comparable. For a 20 year old car it
could be as low as $1000. Factor in the deductable and they give you
$500 and THEY GET TO KEEP THE CAR. You must arrange IN ADVANCE with
your carrier as to the value of the car. A small hit on one panel can
total it out. Even worse it could be stolen and you wind up with $500
dollars. This is just another reason why it is difficult to use a "D"
as a daily driver. To use collecter's insurance generally it can't be
used as a daily driver. The time to find out is WAY BEFORE something
happens. In some states you cannot insure a car unless it is
registered and you can't register it unless it is insured. It is
important to know these things especially when it comes to storage and
you take the plates off for the winter. Unknowingly you have
discontinued your insurance TOO. Or you stop using the car and let the
registration lapse. You continue paying your insurance but when you
have a loss and they find out it wasn't registered at the time they
won't pay (It was a condition of the policy). Others in the auto hobby
have found out the hard way so try to learn from other's mistakes. It
makes a really big difference the state you live in too, the rules can
be very different state to state.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "carnut4849" <gmfm1@xxxx> wrote:
> Dear Adam,
> My experience with the insurance company that I had my D
> insurred with was a lot like yours. When the agent was asked what
> the value of the car was, the answer was they didn't know, but it
> was in the same class as the Corvette.

[moderator snip]