leak on top of fuel pump (was: ...senator)

leak on top of fuel pump (was: ...senator)

> I had an inch or two of gas
> on top of my fuel pump, right where the 2 wires connect to it. I imagine
> it's a leak where the hoses connect inside the fuel pump boot. What should
> be used to seal these 2 connections better?

Mike Pack well described the actual car that started the thread, but let me
add a few general observations, for the sake of the list.... The rubber boot
that supports the fuel pump may look smooth and supple at the top where you
can see it, yet it can still be extremely rotten and cracked where it sits in
the fuel. That's more than likely the source of fuel laying in a pump boot
neck, which of course is below the top level of the fuel, if you're fuller
than about a half tankful. Even a tiny crack can do it, especially since the
fuel tank is under pressure due to the fuel injection layout. When the
rubber gets gnarly like that, it's just impossible for it to get a good seal
around the neck of the fuel pump. How the heck the fuel pump can work with
the electrical contacts submerged is beyond me, although mine worked that way
too. You'd think it would at least be a short circuit situation. Check
carefully while it's apart. You'll probably need to replace more than just
the boot. An old, wimpy pick up hose can suction almost flat, starving and
soon wrecking the fuel pump itself, which is the most expensive component. I
replaced everything rubber back to the solid fuel lines, just to be sure, as
well as draining and cleaning the tank. The fuel lines that connect to the
top of the tank are special. Get them from a DeLorean vendor. He can cut
them to the correct length and even install the banjo fittings. Why waste
time struggling, when you could be driving, or at least working to pay for
your DeLorean? Your time is valuable, too!

Wayne A. Ernst
DMCTech Group