[DML] Torsion Bar failure?

All this talk about the torsion bars has got me wondering. How many people
have had one fail on them and how did it fail? (by this, I don't mean while
adjusting it, I mean just by opening the door) Has anyone been seriously
injured by
a torsion bar? Right now, my drivers side gas strut is shot and everytime I
have to open the door, thanks to the posting of how dangerous they can be, I
always wonder if its gonna go off. If a torsion bar does 'give', what is
usually the outcome? Going thru the back window or could it possibly go
anywhere it wants? Is it more prone to failure with a bad or good gas
strut? Between this and the trailing arm bolt issue, I've now gone back to
driving my other car. :-/

Thanks for any insight!