Re: [DML] twin turbo

The last time I checked (over 2 years ago) it was about $5,000 + about
$1,000 for the labor to install. It can be done by a do-it-yourselfer
if you have more than just bolt-on skills. The kit requires some
drilling and taping and wiring. Rob Grady doesn't recomend this on an
automatic and I agree with him although there are Island kits on
automatics. The major problem is controlling the boost so you don't
damage the engine. It will also increase the frequency of your oil
changes and if you are unlucky enough to need a turbo rebuilt they are
expensive. In installing the turbo you must be very careful about
detonation. Timing is very important as well as octane, temperature,
and boost pressure. An overboost and you WILL blow piston rings and
lands. As tough as the engine is it isn't bulletproof. Mark Levy can
tell you. He blew "something" and his engine is still running! Of
course he has to be careful now or he can blow all of his oil out the
filler! On most engines when they go over 6 lbs boost the heads are
grooved so you can install "O" rings to keep the pressure in and the
compression ratio is reduced to keep the pressures from getting TOO
high. Of course on purposebuilt turbo engines they change the
camshaft, oil pump, pistons etc.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, scott-c-arnold@xxxx wrote:
> For those who have experience with it, how much is this kit and have
> there been any problems with it? Is everything needed included in
> the kit or is there alot of additional work that must be done?
Other