Re: Headlight Switch / Signaling with your lights

--- In dmcnews, Robert wrote:
> Hmm, that's odd. I was always told that flashing your lights
> was aggressive, and blacking them out was passive.

I hadn't thought of it like that, but personally I see one or two
SHORT flashes as a courtesy signal, a LONG, un interupted
flash on the high beams is to warn someone on a dangerous
manouver.

> For instance, if I'm driving and someone wants to turn
> in front of me (lane change, or entering roadway),
> and it's unsafe, I will flash my high beams to tell them 'no'.

That's where I would give them a LONG flash
and/or a long honk on the horns.

> But, if someone needs to get over, and it's safe to pass
> (like a truck changing lanes to get to an off ramp, etc...)

I've allways learned to give trucks on hard manouvers some
extra spaceand knowing some truckies I know it is an
international rule of the trade to give a truck a short flash
when it is safe to get into your lane. To thank you for doing
this the truckdriver usually gives a LEFT-RIGHT-LEFT
on the turn signals.

So when signaling something is Okay tot do
a SHORT flash is the thing to do for me.

> I've always killed my lights to let them know
> ther're clear to move.

I like the idea, but when driving in the dark you can't see
where you're going because of this.
That's the reason that the Low Beams stay on when you
PULL the stalk for a flash; this way when you release the
stalk the lows don't heve to come on again.
When you PUSH the stalk the lows go out and the highs
come on permanently, cutting the lows cuts down on power
usage AND limits heat build up in the light units.

> I guess it's just differant all over...

I guess it is, but that is what makes being part of
such an international group fun.

Greetings from the Netherlands,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000

I will be changing E e-mail adresses soon; please use
<jvdwouw@xxxx>
from now on. <jan@xxxx> will cease to work in the near
future.