#1458 lives!

Hi All

Well, for those who weren't paying attention (yes, I can see you at the back there -
listen up!), you'll know I had a problem with my gearbox...

...the retaining nut on the end of the secondary driveshaft had come loose and drilled
its way out through the case. This could go a long way to explain the low mileage on my
car (2353 but with a broken angle drive......). However, the end casing was relatively
easy to remove and I got it welded up, replaced the nut and on tuesday last week, Jason
rang up to say it was back together, and he'd taken it for a spin down the road. On their
return there was one huge fuel leak....
A new hose from Renault would take 7-10 days... Oh No! I really wanted the car for this
weekend. Thank god for Rich's car quietly resting in the garage... Cheers Rich!

My mission when I arrived this Saturday was to "give the car some exercise". The car only
came with a rear licence plate, so I needed to fit the front plate I'd had made (in
theory I shouldn't be driving it on the US plate, but hey). Then it was out for a spin! I
have a rather good employee car insurance policy and it allows anyone to drive with my
permission, so Rich and I took her out - only three miles or so, but the brakes were very
"woody" (still covered in rust). We swapped and drove back. The steering is very
positive, but to be honest I was concentrating on the change over to a left-hand drive to
notice much else!!!

On driving it later on, I dicovered the reason for the rather disappointing throttle
response. I'd only gone and got the carpet stuck under the accellerator pedal!!! The
brakes loosened up wonderfully, and even with left-hand drive and England's crowded
roads, I overtook no fewer than four times!

Later that evening, Jason needed a lift home, and it gave me the perfect excuse to drive
her! On arrival, he dragged his family out to see the car he'd been working on. Since I
hadn't taken any photos of the car running, I decided now might be a good time. The
photos are here (together with a load of others)

www.delorean.co.uk/1458and2727.html

On Sunday, we turned our attention to getting Rich's damaged quarter panel off. Chris
Nicholson is back from the US this week and said he'd try and squeeze it in.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Thursday - my car's getting its MOT (annual test) so I can
register it, and I'm picking it up to drive the 110 miles back to Reading where I live
during the week. On Saturday I'm driving it another 90 miles or so to a social event in
Peterborough. If only the stereo worked.....

Martin
www.delorean.co.uk