Re: DMC Houston HiPo engine

While I dont own a car with these houston upgrades, I have ridden in
3 cars with the new engine, and driven one of them (the 5-speed demo
one during the open house). Quite frankly, I dont like it. It
really doesn't "feel" all that much faster to me. While I have no
doubt that one of these cars could easily take mine in the top end, a
0-60 race I think would still be pretty close. One of the reasons I
theorize behind this is the high-geared transmission. The new engine
seems to put out most of its power at high RPMS, but seems like it
has lost some of its torque. So with the tranny geared so high, the
engine strains to get up to where it can do some good. While this
may be fine for some people, if I'm gonna put over $5000 into an
upgrade, I want see some low end improvements with the torque band.
(Please note how I stated THEORIZE. I dont claim to have any facts
on this, only what I have personally experienced. But I think
Houston's power graph is misleading, there should be a separate line
for the torque curve. Where is it? Or was it to embarassing to put
on?) Don't anybody start blabbing to me about how the DeLorean isn't
meant to drag race. I know that. I didn't buy the car for speed.
But if I'm gonna spend thousands of dollars to theoreticly make it
faster, I want to feel that speed. There are three things I have
done to my stock engine to slightly improve performace. I removed
the hot-air valve on the air intake and replaced the line with a
single piece flexible hose. I also have installed a Direct Hits
ignition enhancement system. And most recently, I installed a "free-
flow" CAT (if you catch my drift). With all these in place, about 2
months ago I raced a semi-local owner with a stock engine. Despite
both of us having terrible launches, I still "whomped his butt".
This is the kind out output I would hope to have seen in Houston's
new engine, but it sure didn't seem like it. Now I have not actually
raced a car with this upgrade, but if the local MN owner with the
upgrade sees this post and would like to go at it next spring, let me
know! ;-) This kind of race will either prove my theory, or prove
me wrong. I actually hope it would prove me wrong, but I just have
some big doubts about that. Sorry to have seem to gone on preaching
how bad houston's new engine is. I dont think its a bad engine, I
just personally dont like it.

About your window question, you should check out Bob Brandys car and
see what he did. (www.delorean-midwest.org) Expenive, but
interesting nonetheless.

Jim Reeve
MNDMC - Minnesota DeLorean Club