Re: TA Bolt questions

I'm sure that Lotus is quite profitable in their engineering
division. And that quite a few cars have benefited from the work
performed on them. The DeLorean included. I feel that the
double "Y" chassis w/the VIRM underbody is a great
improvement over the original seperate front crossmember &
rear subframe held together by the GRP underbody. Hey, if you
want to nit-pick, I even prefer the final design of the intierior vs.
the one on the prototype. The point to my posting is that while
Lotus did a good amount of work and research on the
DeLorean, they failed to properly complete it. And where Lotus
did not complete their work properly by way of not dedicating
themselves to the DeLorean 100% as they should have, this has
caused problems for the DMC-12, and their owners.

Is my statement a broad one? Yes, it is. Is it based upon "very
little information"? Well, that depends on how you look at things.
Hands on expierience, yes. Hands on, I've really only delt with my
DeLorean. But, there are quite a few things here. We have failing
pivot bolts on the rear trailing arms, a front end recall kit for both
the lower ball joints and the front frame of the chassis, failing
pivot bolts for the shift linkage, snapping muffler brackets, the list
can go on. Over all information? No. Colin Chapman was the
man credited with most all of the innovations @ Lotus. And he
worked on the DeLorean. Now with him gone, GM's influence
over Lotus with their own lack-luster reputation as it is (since
after all they did own it), combined with the below-par treatment
that the DeLorean recieved, I would say that puts them into a bad
light as far as the dedication/completion of their work goes.

Even a quick search on Google using "Lotus Esprit Problem"
yielded some interesting results. Even the Esprit appears to
have problems. Things ranging from replacement of "U" joints,
to use of substandard hoses & materials, failing motor mounts,
to even hazardous fires caused by catalytic converters @ low
speeds. So I guess that throws out my previous posting that
Lotus owners have no problems (I assumed, and we all know
what assumption is the mother of :p ). Yes, that is some pretty
broad information for a pretty broad statement.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"