If it's not broke, don't break it...

Anyone have any suggestions?

I mentioned last week that I was having the high speed accelleration
issues - didn't sound like a transmission issue, but more of a fuel
delivery issue, possibly. Anyhow, even though it was still running
ok, I decided to use the last couple days before the big "winter"
sets in and do a tuneup since I picked up this car a few weeks ago
and didn't know much about the history on it (the usual low mileage,
original everything syndrome). Here's how it went...

Removed the two allen bolts and was able to squeeze out the
distributor cap to replace the rotor/cap with Bosch replacements. I
also replaced the wires, spark plugs with Platinum +4's, and went
ahead and put in a new Bosch fuel filter, since a few people
mentioned that I may have something in there blocking my fuel flow
for the high speed accel. issue. I go to start up the car after all
of this, and it starts up right away and sounds ok. I go to drive
it, and what a mess - the car now has almost a rhythmic vibration to
it when you hit the gas. I had a older British car that once had
this same feeling when it would foul up a plug or two...just didn't
have that smooth "purr" like it used to. So, with that in mind, I
took it back into the garage, pulled the plugs and took another
look...all the plugs looked equal - charred black except for the top
of the +4 plug which was white. Seeing it was all the same, I though
I'd try putting the old plugs in..just to see if it made a
difference. Now that quick pulsating vibration is gone, but it
doesn't accerate at all...it's like the high speed acceleration
thing, but now at EVERY speed. I give it gas...and I can barely get
it up to 25mph in the neighborhood.

I can sense the different gears engaging, so I don't think it's
the "starting in 2nd gear" syndrome... before it started running
really bad, at least it would go quicker than 25mph. I checked
around for any vacuum lines or anything that may have been
disconnected, but didn't see any...but admittedly, it's not the
easiest area of the car to check around, since you can't see half of
what you're working with, in the first place!. Two days ago before I
did anything, it was going up to 80 without a hitch!

Any thoughts? (other than "tough luck!" ? :) ) I'm wondering if
there's a possibility the cap wasn't put on quite right, etc..
something dumb...but in that case, I'd be surprised it would be
running at all. It sounds good just sitting in the driveway idling..
but perhaps I did knock something out on the fuel system side of
things when I was pulling up on the fuel distributor/fuel mixture/etc
housing.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Pete