melted heater hose

As part of my ongoing quest to discover and demonstrate every possible way to screw up a simple job, I respectfully submit the following report:

Last summer I decided to buy some peace of mind and replace my water pump and all coolant hoses. Doing all those hoses were tedious but not difficult. When it was all done, I figured I was set for awhile.

So, I was pretty annoyed last week when my car sprung a fairly major coolant leak. Turned out to be the heater hose that connects the heater vacuum valve on the right front of the engine to the metal pipe in the right-hand side of the frame (under the dust shield). What happened was that when I routed that particular hose, I let it touch the front exhaust pipe where it emerges from the right-hand exhaust manifold. The pipe has a heat shield, but I was able to carefully avoid that. As a result, the hose spend the summer slowly melting its way toward the aforementioned leak.

Just one more thing to add to the "worth checking for" list.

--Pete Lucas
VIN #06703