Re: [DML] Re: Trailing Arm Bolts - Engineering

Re: [DML] Re: Trailing Arm Bolts - Engineering

I'd like to throw some ideas out to the list. First, I'd like to thank Toby
for working so hard to find a solution. I'm sure that the bolts that he has
come up with will be safer than the others and may eventually save some
lives! My complaint at this point is that the problem is more than weak
bolts and soft washers. Additional weak components include the metal sleeve
in the rubber bushing and the rubber bushing itself. If a trailing arm bolt
is over-tightened, then the sleeve in the bushing starts to crush. At
proper torque, the sleeve is only a couple of foot-pounds away from
crushing. As for the rubber bushing -- I do not like the idea that two
little rubber doughnuts are transferring most of the engine's horse power to
the chassis. This rubber permanently deforms with use. Rubber has many
good uses, but not here!

Toby, if you are going to come out with a kit of new bolts & washers, how
about coming up with a new bracket that holds the trailing arm bolts from
both sides? This should significantly reduce the bending force on the bolt
by reducing the length of the lever arm (effectively cutting it in half).
Also, I see no point in even having any rubber in there. Wouldn't a steel
bearing make more sense?

The best solution that I have heard about so far is what Bryan Pearce has
come up with. He is the guy making the stainless steel frames. He
described to me his replacement that uses a ball joint (with his new frame)
and re-uses part of the original trailing arm. He is working on still a
better improvement that entirely replaces the trailing arm with one of his
own design.

If DMC stayed in business, we all agree that there would have been a major
recall on the trailing arm bolt issue. But I don't think this would have
been a matter of replacing it with a stronger bolt or adding a jamb nut. I
think they would have gone with something like what Bryan Pearce has come up
with. I feel that replacing the bolt with anything other than a ball joint
is a bad idea.

It sounds like the trialing arm bolt problem is not just limited to the
DeLorean. Rob Grady told me that he has a Lotus that uses the same
arrangement, but the bolt used is one size thinner than that used on the
DeLorean. Does anyone know of the problems that Lotus has had concerning
recalls if any?

Walt Tampa, FL