Gold Delorean

[Moderator note - more info can be found at http://bigtexas.com/dmc/]

If anyone was still wondering about the gold Delorean in Snyder, TX, it's
still there. I was out in west Texas all last week on business and just
happened to be driving right through Snyder and decided to stop by to see if
it was still in the glass case in the lobby of Snyder National Bank. Sure
enough, it's still sitting there. The window sticker is framed and hanging
on the inside of the glass case and there is also a gold plated tire gauge
sitting on the floor next to the car, I'm assuming it came with the car. A
plaque says it is one of only 2 gold plated Deloreans ever made (we all know
there was a third but at the time it was one of only 2) and that Robert Mize
was the person who ordered it, which if memory serves me correctly, was the
president of Snyder National Bank at the time. I didn't have a camera and I
got there just 30 minutes before the bank lobby closed, so I didn't get any
pictures.

It still blows my mind that one of the rarest, most expensive and
sought after Deloreans, has been sitting in the lobby of a bank in a town
with a population of only 10000 people that's in the middle of nowhere for
the last 20 years! The tires are a little flat, and I would be willing to
bet every seal is as brittle as tissue paper, but I don't expect that it
will ever actually see the open road in it's lifetime, it's just to
irreplaceable to risk damaging it. It also said that the purchasing dealer
was Fred Hughes Buick in Abilene.

Coincidentally, I was doing an audit the
next day at Star Honda in Abilene, and they had just bought the dealership
lot from Fred Hughes six months ago. I asked the owner about Fred Hughes
Buick and he said Fred Hughes was selling out of all his dealerships, and
had sold out of his Buick dealership 3 years ago. If anyone has a chance to
stop by Snyder, Texas, the bank lobby hours are 9:00am to 3:00pm Monday
through Friday.