Re: trailing arm bolt removal

These trailing arm bolts AKA pivot bolts are HIGHLY stressed. They are
also torqued near their tensile limit. Just like highly stressed
critical bolts in aircraft they should be considered only usable and
torqueable ONCE. To replace of course you raise the car. The bolt is
replaced with the weight of the car off the suspension. The only
precaution is that when the bolts are torqued the weight of the car is
resting on the suspension so use a jackstand under the mount by the
rear shock to "load" the suspension. On an automatic getting the left
bolt out requires disconnecting the trailing arm from the rear
carrier. If the bolts are bent you might have to slice them up into
little pieces to get them out. It is best to have this done at an
alignment shop so the bolts won't get retorqued too many times and
they have the expertise and equipment to do this AND set the thrust
angle.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Joe Thome" <joethome@xxxx> wrote:
> Hello Fellow List Members,
>
> Great discussion on trailing arm bolts. Is there any precaution
which should be followed in the removal of these bolts for inspection
or replacement? Do you simply get under the car and screw these bolts
out, or do you have to secure the trailing arms or other parts so that
they don't suddenly spring out position and do damage to person or
car?