Trailing Arm Bolt Concerns

Hello List -
I've got some information relating to trailing arm bolts that I think
would be of interest. First, let me give you a personal profile so
that you know who I am. My name is Toby Peterson, and I am, and have
been, a Principal Structural Engineer at Boeing for almost 20 years.
My responsibilities include the engines and engine pylons for the
entire 747-400 fleet. I have owned my DeLorean, VIN 2248, since 1988.
I have developed many connections within the aerospace industry and
some of the best aerospace manufacturers in the world. Now ... on
with the story -

The trailing arm bolts (TA) have a great deal of work to do. They
react almost all engine torque and braking torque at the rear wheels,
establish rear wheel alignment, and transmit all "thrust" from the
drive wheels into the frame of the car. They are a "critical load
path" item with no significant redundancy. If a bolt fails during
certain driving scenarios, directional control could be lost, and the
event could be non-recoverable. The importance of the TA bolts has
always been a concern of mine.

At a club-sponsored tech session last year, I did a complete
inspection of the suspension components, as usual, and also re-torqued
my TA bolts. The drivers' side bolt took a very small torque, and
then became free-spinning ... not a good thing. As some other people
went off in search of a replacement bolt, I removed both halves of the
fractured bolt, and kept them for further inspection. The other bolt
was clearly bent, as well. After the replacement, I took the bolts to
a metallurgical lab for analysis of the fracture. The bolt had
cracked 80% through in slow crack growth, due to fatigue, with another
10% in fast growth. The drive up to the session had been "spirited",
and resulted in the last three crack striations. The remaining 10%
failed during the torqueing procedure. Scanning electron microscope
views of the fracture surface revealed that the crack had started at
several small corrosion pits in the area of the first thread, and
propagated through the bolt due to fatigue from bending stresses. The
material tested out as alloy steel with cadmium plating, and had a
tensile strength of 136,000 psi. That's about right for a bolt with a
metric rating of 10.9. After I explained where the bolt was
installed, and what it did, the lab technician asked me a very simple
question ... "Why did they use such a crappy bolt for this critical
function?" Good question. The alloy steel is subject to rust and
corrosion, the plating deteriorates over time and can be damaged
during installation or use, and the material strength is not adequate
to prevent bending in a single shear application under high loads. As
mentioned in other messages, the washers are showing signs of crushing
and wear, which will reduce the preload on the bolts. This will
increase the induced bending stresses during driving, resulting in
faster fatigue damage to the bolt.

At a subsequent tech session, we looked at the TA bolts in seven cars
by completely removing the bolts and examining them visually. Several
were bent, and several others were corroded and rusty. A couple were
quite loose, while others needed to be pounded out with a hammer.
Only two cars had bolts in what I would call "good condition". As I
said earlier, I have been very concerned about this situation, and the
apparent lack of understanding about this issue, as evidenced in other
entries on the list. The main issue with the TA bolts is not that
they can cause a clunk ... the main issue is that a failed bolt can be
catastrophic under some driving conditions.

I will post a second entry tomorrow with details about what I did to
solve this problem for myself. I will be asking for an idea of the
level of interest in making my solution available to the rest of the
DeLorean fleet. Please consider what I have shared here, and be ready
to give me some feedback when I share my solution with you. 'Til
then...