Re: [DML] DMC How are the fuel injector suppose to work in this system?

Re: [DML] DMC How are the fuel injector suppose to work in this system?

Hi All,

I'd initially wrote:
> Then came the check for leaks around the distributor, etc.
>Mostly out of curiosity, I pulled two injectors out and ran the pump
again.
>Both injectors emitted a thin stream (not a spray) of fluid.
>Just to test the injectors themselves I went ahead and pressed down on the
>airflow sensor and got a nice spray pattern (yeah, I know the catalytic is
>probably going to love me for that).
>I was lead to believe that with the airflow sensor completely closed (as
in
>the case with the engine not running) no fuel should make it's way to the
>injectors. Is this true?

Well, I found out the reason why the injectors didn't turn off with the
airflow sensor plate completely closed.

Note: This is with the engine NOT running, hence, the airflow sensor plate
is completely closed thereby bypassing the injectors; a procedure Stephen
Wynne of DMC in Houston recommended as one of several steps involved
if/when a major "worst case" cleaning and inspecting of the fuel system is
called for.

The lever that the air flow sensor plate is connected to has essentially
two parts.
The first is connected to the plate and the second is in contact with the
fuel distributor plunger.
The height the second lever (and subsequently the plunger's position at
rest) can be adjusted with a 3mm Allen wrench the access hole for which is
located between the distributor and the opening that the airflow sensor
plate resides in.
Yep, you guessed it, that second lever was set too high.
Backing off the setscrew turned the steady stream of fluid from the
injector completely off.
Later on, with engine running, I'll have to go back in there and adjust it
properly with proper/normal engine performance in mind.

How did the lever get out of whack you may ask?
Well, the fuel distributor on this car had been replaced (or rebuilt
judging from a brown paper bag of old interior fuel distributor parts that
came with the car: gulp, let's not go there for now) by the previous owner
so that's probably how that got mal adjusted.
So, I guess that can be one of the checks to look for if and when swapping
out fuel distributors.

QUESTION:
My next related issue involves the plug that covers up the access hole for
the aforementioned 3mm Allen wrench is missing.
Whomever had simply placed a loose fitting screw with a washer connected to
it in place of that plug.
If I read it right, the parts manual lists this plug and associated opening
as tamper proof (yeah well).
I've got another DMC engine assembly and that plug is missing on it as well
and replaced with yet another ill fitting screw.
So, does removing that plug mess it up to the point of not being reusable?

Does anyone know what this plug looks like?
Judging from the hole it seems to go down straight (no threads) for a bit
and is then threaded.
Something a least needs to be there since leaving it open will allow air
directly into the intake bypassing the airflow sensor plate and leaning the
mixture, etc.

Louis