Re: Blue exhaust

Blue smoke is usually a sign that you are burning oil. There can be
several reasons for it.
First stick your finger into the tailpipe. If it is oily then you can
be sure the reason for the blue smoke. Now check that the engine has
the correct amount of oil, too much and it will burn the excess. If it
is very dirty or hasn't been changed in a long time an oil change may
help. Next a compression test and a leak-down test can tell the source
of the trouble mechanically. Another quick way is to remove the oil
fill cap while the engine is idling and if it is blowing blue smoke
you probably need rings. A malfunctioning crankcase venting system can
allow pressure to build up and cause oil burning. You can remove the
spark plugs and inspect them for oil burning. I can give some other
things to do but start with the easy ones first. The fuel you use
generally won't cause this unless you have put an additive in it for
some reason. Sometimes when a car is stored oil is put into the
cylinders and when the engine is started it will blow blue smoke for a
short time. Get it warmed up and it may go away. A cat won't cure blue
smoke and if it is oil it will foul the O2 senser.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Paul Salsbury" <paul.salsbury@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Just managed to get everything together for the first time since
body and frame were separated.

> Now my question.....
>
> Background.. When I first got the car it had not been started for
approx 2 years and needed a tidy up around the engine and new muffler.
The tidy up was done and it started first time........

> Now its back together with new muffler, apart from being a lot
quieter, it is blowing a fair amount of blue tinted exhaust.

> What is causing this?
>
> I do not have a cat on the car, and do need a new oxygen sensor.
could that be the easy answer?