RE: [DML] deloreans magazine

I may be out of line here, but...

Before this thread, Someone suggested that I write a article for the new
DeLoreans magazine. Because of that, I had already put some thought in
to this topic.

Below you suggest "we should all consider creating content for the
magazine". Can you explain why you feel this way?? When James was
publishing the E-Zine as a service to the members of the DeLorean
community, I would have been eager to contribute articles if there was
an interest in anything I had to say (Who ever thought there would be!).
But now, "DeLoreans" magazine IS a commercial business. I don't think
Stephen would have taken on this project if he did not see a potential
for financial gain from it. (and I don't fault him for this, It is the
American way.)

I have not seen the first issue of DeLoreans magazine, so I can't
comment on it specifically.. BUT, I don't subscribe to any magazines
simply because I don't understand why I need to pay for a stack of
glossy paper that is usually 50% (or more) of advertisements! The
publisher gets money from the advertisers and the subscribers, yet (in
some cases, I don't know about "DeLoreans") does not pay the
contributors. And the publisher usually owns the copyright to the
article when it is all done!

The comments above also apply to your last 2 points. (DML contribute to
mag, and put energy toward creating). If I want to contribute (give)
something to the DeLorean community, I can do it here on the DML.

I am not a big (direct) customer of DMC Houston, but I would prefer to
see them publish a low-production quarterly newsletter. The cost can be
offset by a income deduction for the "advertising" in the newsletter.
In addition, they could charge a small fee to other's who want to
advertise in the publication. If we add up all of the people that are
selling something (new upgrade part, NOS sitting in their garage, or a
car) there is plenty of opportunity to cover the publishing cost of a
LOW production (limit glossy photos and such) newsletter that will have
plenty of room for technical articles.

You also say below that the DML should be used to promote the various
publications.... While I believe the "no commercial posting" rule has
been removed since James started his employment at DMC Houston, I (and I
think others on the list) are not happy to see the list used as a
obvious tool for promotion. Deloreans magazine is clearly a commercial
venture.

* clarification on the above statement: I am VERY happy to see members
of the DML with commercial interests CONTRIBUTING to the list, and as a
"side effect" they get their name out there and improve their business.