Miniature Lamps vs Led's

Mike,Bill and Group, I to had though of Led's instead of incandescent
lamps as tail lights. But I didn't give it much thought till I have
heard the comments made by several people on the DML list. I took
Mikes suggestion and called Jam Strait and got samples. I have spent
the better part of saturday setting up a jig and testing them against
bulbs. 1st, Let me say that Jam Strait is a very good and up front
company to work with. I got the samples and prices list. Here's the
good and bad.

1156SR, Super bright red . List $12.00 ea. Tested
1156sa, Super bright amber. List $15.00 ea. Tested
1156sw, super bright white, List $41.00 ea. Did't get to test.
They are just what they say. Cool, Low current so on.

So, I got my catalog down on miniture lamps again and did a little
more studying on the tail light bulbs.
1st off there are only two tail lights on under normal driving
condition at night. That is the #87/89 bulb in the middle. These are
13 volt .58 amps. These don't cast off a lot of heat and the current
draw would't even be noticed by the alternator. They are also rated
750 hours of life. At 60 MPH, That 45,000 miles of driving when you
may have to replace them. If you want to brighten it up, I'll get to
that later.
The other 4 lights in the rear assembly are the demands, The 1156.
These bulbs 12.8 volts 2.1 amps ea and a 1200 hr life. They run HOT.
So I started looking to see what can be done to cut down on the
current draw and not sacrafice to much light out the back. The #93
bulb only draws 1.04 amps ea on the test and has a 750 hr life. I
could only notice a 10% or so drop in output thru the rear lenses.
The LED's was about 50% less with red, especially and maby a 20% drop
in amber.
So my conclusion was: If your not happy with the brightness with the
center tail light in the middle, then up it to the #93. 1156 is to
hot to run all the time in the small cavity. That will get you more
brightness in the middle.. Then If you want to cut down on the
current draw of 1156 ( 2.1 amps )for the other rear lights try the
#93. The #93 will light up center tail light nicely. Then when you
step on the brake two more 1156 or #93 come on, and if your turning
the corner and have the directional signal on then you will add one
#93 or 1156. You can't back up at the same time #93 also. Then X's
two this. maby 12 to 14 amps in the worst case with 1156 which can do
damage to the tail lenses due to the heat they put out. If you want
to cool things down. Then try the #93 in all holes in the rear tail.
You may not tell the difference.
If I would have asked for a super bright white 1156SW LED light at
$41.00 list then things might have turned out different. But $41.00
ea for tail lights. WOW. Some people have a hard time updating the
oil drain plug at $12.95. I will have photo's on the web site next
week for viewing. I will also be sending back my samples. The
products are built great. The Led's are mounted on a G10 epoxy glass
board and are flow soldered to the boards. Really, they are good, but
I will go the #93 route for about $1.00 ea. I am also testing the
Led 194 dash light also.
I just don't think the LED's are for the Delorean unless you want to
shell out $41.00 ea. We also don't have rear chrome reflectors. Will
advise on others.10/20/01.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/