Re: [DML] Airbox performance

With all the discussion about what Casey's new air box will do, I found some
relevant text in a book titled, "Bosch Fuel Injection Systems" by Forbes
Aird.

In the chapter titled "Performance Modifications", The author states,
"... if you make minor modifications to improve the air handling capacity of
a street engine, say by fitting a low-restriction air cleaner, or a
free-flow exhaust system, or by taking a light cut off the cylinder head to
raise the compression, or by matching ports, then there is almost certainly
enough "head-room" -- reserve capacity -- in your existing Bosch EFI system
to match the slightly increased rate of airflow, with the same precision it
handled the stock motor. You'll have a sweet running motor with a little
more power."

This should answer the concern that someone brought up that the air flow
meter would negate any improvements in air delivery because it would always
meter the respective amount of fuel for any amount of air. After reading a
lot of this book, it is apparent that lifting some of the restriction on air
intake will increase both the air AND fuel available to the engine, but this
will only be noticeable at higher RPMs. I doubt there would be any
improvement at idle or low speeds, but low speed is not what we are
interested in. :)

For the DIY mechanic, this book goes a long way in explaining how the
DeLorean's fuel injection system works. I just wish I had more time to read
stuff like that.

Walt Tampa, FL