engine compartment light

Hey guys,

can anyone tell me how this goofy thing is supposed to work? when i bought
the car, the switch was smashed down so it wouldn't bounce back up. today i
took the switch off and let the two wires stay there. i checked the
electrical diagram and learned that the light fixture has two positive wires
connected to it. that's the power for the whole thing. well, the top tab
for the light fixture turned on my test light, but the bottom one didn't. so
i figured that the light bulb must be broken, but it looks ok! i then tested
the socket where the bulb fits into, and there's no power where the bulb
touches it, yet i have power all around the little disc it fits into. when i
put a jumper wire between the wires as the touch the socket, i then have
power to one of the wires at the switch.

is my socket broken? it looks ok - there isn't much to break in there! but
it's crazy - the tab has power but the disc that the bulb slips into doesnt,
and that breaks the connection. what gives??

Andy

Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102