Re: State Farm Insurance

Car insurance rules vary State by State. Their is no rhyme or reason
to it except to say each State can make it's own rules. Also the
insurance companies vary their policies depending on their experience
and loses. The only way someone can compare insurance is within their
own State with another policy holder that has the same experience and
took out a policy at the same time. I have Haggerty and I pay a little
more than others who took out their policies years before me. Anyone
geting a quote now from Haggerty will pay a little more than me. In
some instances an insurance company will refuse new customers but will
continue any policies currently in force. It is their way of forcing
the State to allow them to raise the premiums if the State wants that
carrier to stay in the State. In New Jersey many companies tried that
and the State said they couldn't "pick and choose". Either they
provided all types of coverage or none.
The best advice is to get quotes from as many companies as you can
that offer in your state and pick the one that suits your needs best.
Don't cheat either, if you try to use the car as a daily driver on
limited collector coverage don't be upset if you find yourself with a
loss that isn't covered! Carefully read the disclaimers and
limitations especially regarding mileage, driver age, value,
deductables, and allowed uses. Some companies require an appraisel and
that can cost. Many just want some pictures so they know there really
is a car and it isn't already a total wreak.
Another good source of info is a local car club even if it isn't
Deloreans. The members can give their experiences and recomendations.
At any large car shows there are usually a couple of insurance
companies with stands and they give quotes on the spot. Look in
Hemmings Motor News as all of the big ones advertise in it. Your local
insurance agent that you use for your house or business isn't a good
place to go as this area of insurance is very specialized and since he
will go where you will look he will get what you can find and add his
margin onto it.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "marvin" <marv@xxxx> wrote:
> I recently requested State Farm quote on a condo in Florida. I was
advised they are taking no new clients for car or property coverage.
Strange corporate policy in my mind.