repainting DMC logo on late cars

Hey guys,

one project pointed out to me at a car show i was recently in was suggesting
that i repaint the black background of my DeLorean hood badge (i have an 82).
over time it has faded to being just stains of dark gray, in fact the whole
badge was nearly stripped of paint. i had noticed it before but never really
thought much of it. so, this week i decided to repaint it.

anyway, this is what i did:
i went to the local hardware store and bought a can of OX RUST Black Enamel
paint which claims it is for painting metal so it doesn't rust. it was the
best stuff i could find at the store that seemed to be what i wanted. i took
it home and got some masking tape which i covered basically a good 8 inches
around the entire badge. i then covered the rest of the right side of my
hood and front fascia with towels in case the spray paint misted out and
landed on the untaped parts of my hood. i then sprayed the whole badge a
couple of times, and watched the paint basically run off of the badge onto my
tape! some stayed but it always thinned out and ran off. the extra towels
were a good thing because the paint did kind of cloud out! anyway i sprayed
the badge probably 4 times before a good amount began to stick to it. i let
it sit about 10 minutes, then wiped some of the paint off of the raised
letters and used my fingertip to 'pat' the paint onto the places where it
just ran off of before. this was somewhat time comsuming but it didn't make
the paint look uneven - it did exactly what i wanted it to do, get paint to
stick where it wasn't before. i then let this job dry for about 30 minutes,
then i sprayed the whole thing one more time. this time i was painting on
top of paint and the paint stayed as well as made the whole badge look much
more uniform. then i let it sit overnight. today i came out to the car and
checked the job. looked pretty good but the paint looks pretty thick on the
back ground. at least it doesn't appear to be uneven. i pulled back the
tape and was momentarily horrified when i saw black paint had seeped into the
tape and stained my precious hood!! luckily none had gone onto the fascia.
however i quickly realized that this is stainless steel! so i got some paint
thinner on a rag and wiped most of the paint off with that (it hadn't totally
cured yet). then for the paint that got on the hood all around the very base
of the badge, i used an old toothbrush with paint thinner on it. that worked
beautifully. now i had a totally black badge with clean stainless around it.
i grabbed my scotchbrite pad and carefully scraped the paint off of the
letters of the badge, leaving the background untouched. once i had that
perfectly shiny with a nice horizontal grain, i resurfaced the whole hood
because the toothbrust and sideways scotchbrite left a couple tiny horizontal
scratches. i then cleaned the hood with water and a dry towel and admired my
quick work. not too bad for an impromptu job! my only complaint is that the
paint looks a little thick on the whole badge. i would have liked to have
gotten only maybe 2 coats of paint on but like i said, the paint just doesn't
stick well. but anyway - it's WAY better than it was before!

has anyone else tried repainting their hood badge? any good tips if i were
to redo it someday?

later,
Andy

Soma576@xxxx