Re: [DML] airbox performance numbers

Actually I don't think the pantyhose will cause any harm as if it gets
caught it will just melt and burn up. A piece of screen might be a
better idea as it will also act as a flame arrestor just in case the
motor should backfire. Get a piece of stainless screen. A cheap source
is a cooking supply. Get a grease fire preventer, it is just a piece
os s/s screen mounted in a wire handle. Cut the screen out and you
have a nice big piece. Most places that sell door screen materiel sell
either plastic or aluminum and that isn't as good as stainless. In
some cases removing the air induction system can result in a decrease
in performance as they are "tuned" to the air flow. The only way to
really do it right is on a flowbench. Dave Swingle is also correct in
that you can't expect any improvement if the exhaust is restricting
the breathing of the motor, fixing the intake won't get you anything
in that case. A motor is supposed to be an engineered system and as
such there is usually no one thing that will give you much improvement
without also upgrading the associated systems. This will give you some
idea of what Steve Wynn went through to get more performance out of
the PRV-6. If it was that easy to improve the performance you would
think that the Delorean engineers would have done it because they
realized the car was underpowered because it came out too heavy. Their
answer was to go to Legend Industries and create a turbo-powered "D".
It may have been the expensive and "brute-force" way to get more
horsepower but it made a significant difference as any owner who has a
turbo will tell you. The efforts to improve the performance by just
working on the air box will yield small if any improvement.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757