[DML] RE: door launchers

I would like to take this opportunity to say that I agree with everybody. :-)

On the one hand, we can all count on the 'Zilla door openers to be a first-rate, easily-installed, bulletproof product. You don't get the kind of reputation that the 'Zilla products enjoy without a lot of very careful design, testing, refinement, manufacturing and customer support. This doesn't come cheap and, as Bob has convincingly argued, there is every reason to believe that the 'Zilla products are fairly priced. You are not just buying solenoids and a bit of electronics, you are buying peace of mind and a low-hassle, no-thinking-required installation experience.

OTOH, I can vouch that Darryl's door opener system is elegantly designed, very effective, and robust. Several years ago (before he had a kit for sale), he generously made the plans for the setup available without charge, and I successfully reproduced the system at very low cost. It fit my needs very well: I know electronics, enjoyed designing my own control system that behaved just the way I wanted (including safety interconnects to disable the openers when the car is in gear and when the doors are locked). I also enjoyed exploring the door wiring to find a way to power the solenoids using the existing wiring loom. For me, doing it myself had value beyond the money saved. If you are a serious do-it-yourselfer like me, they I strongly recommend this system. Many others don't enjoy such things, or lack the skill or time to pursue them. For these folks, the 'Zilla approach is the way to go, and no doubt represents a good value.

Pete Lucas
VIN #06703

P.S. -- I, too, am puzzled why Rob and Bob chose to go with heavy solenoids rather than the more modern (and very effective) actuator motors that Darryl recommends. I, too shared my positive experiences with them when they were researching their system. I guess it is just another instance of the conservative design philosophy that has earned their products such a stellar reputation.