Re: [DML] Extra/unused wires in doors

There is definitely an unused wire that you can use for your launchers. My memory of the details has faded, but I'm pretty sure it is the single yellow/white wire that you mentioned.

The bad news is that this wire will only get you as far as the junction box in the center of the roof under the T-panel. It goes into the connector from the door to the roof harness, but you will discover that its mating pin is missing and there is no spare wire in the roof harness.

Here's what you have to do:
1) Remove the T-panel.
2) Remove the metal plate that covers the roof junction box. It is glued in place with black sealant. Just pry it up.
3) Remove the rear headliner piece (I can't remember if you also need to remove the center T-shaped headliner).
4) Locate the rectangular rubber bung inside the vehicle where the harness enters the cabin. You need to get two more wires through this bung somehow. I think I just squeezed them in, but I forget.
5) Fish the two wires along the roof, following the path of the existing harness until you get the wires into the junction box in the roof.
6) Remove the missing bullet connector pins from the connector for each door and connect your new wires to them using a suitable connector.
7) Run the other end of the wires via the route of your choice to the relays for the door launchers (I put mine in the area under the luggage shelf behind the driver's seat).
8) Wire it up and begin impressing your friends.

All of this is a medium hassle, but at least you don't have to have a new wire showing at your door hinge. And your friends really will be impressed.

--Pete Lucas
VIN #06703