Re: Deceleration Problem

Although your problem could be caused by a vacuum leak I think it is
more likely caused by a breakdown in the ignition system (bad ignition
wires and worn spark plugs). Visually inspect all of the hoses, listen
for hissing at the mode switch (the switch that controls the a/c and
heat) and check that they are all connected correctly. Play particular
attention to the hoses in the front of the motor, it is easy to knock
one loose without knowing it when working in that area. If the problem
persists after checking the hoses do a complete tune-up replacing air,
fuel, and oil filters, ignition cap and rotor, ignition wires, spark
plugs. If there are enough miles on the car (30,000) replace the O2
sensor and adjust the valves. (It is also possible but unlikely that
the air sensor plate is not centered or the plunger in the fuel
mixture unit is sticking.) If this doesn't fix the problem then you
have to take out the fuel injectors and have them tested and cleaned.
Since you are a new owner unless you really know the history of the
car it is best to start off with new parts. You should also pressure
test the coling system to 15 psi for 15 min. Replace ALL of the hoses
if any feel too hard or too soft or if any have any bulges. Flush the
brake and clutch fluid replaceing with Castrol GTLMA DOT 4.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757