Deceleration Problem

Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie to owning a "D", and a newbie to your group.
As an electrical engineer I'm hoping maybe my experience can help
someone in those areas - but for now I'm the one looking for some
mechanical help.

My D is having "Deceleration" problems. When cold or hot, it starts
fine, although the idle hunts slightly. The acceleration is smooth
and powerful, however on deceleration it "kicks" and feels very
choppy.

I suspect a vacuum related problem, but have no real proof of that -
only that it mimicks the symptoms of a car from years before.

Any suggestions before I seek out a local pro?