[DML] Re: GM Engine - Conversion Prices Exceeds Car's

[DML] Re: GM Engine - Conversion Prices Exceeds Car's

This is true. And while I'm sure this will be the equivalent of
smacking a hornets nest with a stick, but there is one litte snag to
all this; The DeLorean is NOT a street rod, it was not intended to be
one, nor should it become one. I'm not saying this a a prude, I think
that proper modifications for the DeLorean have the ability to make
the car far more enjoyable/safer/what have you. But I am saying this
as someone who has already taken something like this into
consideration. A bigger engine for more power? As an owner, I can
more than understand that, and I even agree. But there does come a
point where there is overkill. Especially in the DeLorean. For
braking purposes, I carry weights up front. Slaming the brakes in a
DeLorean while going 45+ mph is no fun. You will end up spinning the
steeringwheel just to couter the inertia of the engine behind you to
keep the rear end from swinging up front. The same if you start
taking corners too fast. Don't get me wrong, I love the true rear-
engine design of the DeLorean. And I love the handling, but over 200
hp, I would begin to worry about personal safety. Just as fast as you
can speed up, you need to have to ability not just to slow down, but
to stop. Even true street rods that you mention will have
consideration for safety features like a roll cage. Obviously someone
who would attempt this type of a conversion would have the driving
skills to handle all the power. But the biggest question of all
remains: When would you be able to drive something like this? I've
seen alot of street rods at shows, and at the track. But to me
something you build just to look at, and maybe take to the track when
you get the chance is, well, dumb. To me, an unused car, is a useless
car. And my DeLorean is a daily driver.

If a street rod, or something to that effect is something you really
want to build, a Bricklin is a more suited car than a DeLorean is.
You can purchase a B for what you need for around $4K or so. And it
has the front mouted engine, and a bigger, more powerful engine(s) at
that.

Just my .02¢

-Robert
vin 6585

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, jus4sho@xxxx wrote:
> I just wanted to make one statement responding to Joe's comment
about a conversion being questionable if its price exceeds that of
the vehicle:

> While one should always consider their realistic budget, some
people do have larger budgets.
> In the street rodding world, a quality custom street rod can easily
cost 50, 80 , or over $100K to build, yet most of the actual
unrestored vehicles that are purchased to start these project rarely
cost over $10K. I don't own a $50K+ street rod, but I do enjoy
looking at them so I'm glad street rodders don't apply your logic.

> My $0.02
<SNIP>