an interesting parts car

I just spent the better part of the last two days dragging the leftovers of
a parted out DeLorean home. It's easier to say what is left than what was
taken off. Basically what is left is the engine (disassembled but looks
complete), manual transmission, frame, suspension pieces, radiator, fans,
plumbing, etc. Unlucky for me, the front lower control arms are all bent up
from towing, and those are the parts that I was really after. The best
parts that look useable are the steering rack, angle drive, starter,
alternator, and maybe some fuel system components. The fuel system was
taken off, drained and stored indoors with the engine. Everything else was
left in the weather for a few years.

Some interesting things I have noticed on the car: It has a custom one core
all brass radiator. The core looks to be around 25 to 30mm wide. It still
had the maker's tag on it with street & phone number, so I'm going to look
them up.

It has an interesting custom dual exhaust system. Both sides look like
mirror images of each other. They use the original exhaust manifold blowing
the exhaust forward through question-mark-shaped pipes that turn rear-wards
between the lower control arm and drive axle.

In order to get it home, I had to borrow the wheels from my car as this one
was just sitting on the ground covered with vines & a few wasp nests. I
took some pictures, so it will make an interesting addition to the
collection of sad DeLorean pictures. I'm calling this one a happy DeLorean
picture because these parts will help keep other cars running.

The frame appears wreaked enough that it isn't worth straightening. It is
damaged both front & rear. The owner said that the body looked perfect
before it was removed and that the damage to the frame happened from rough
handling. He said they carried it over his fence to get it into his
backyard. I don't really believe this, but then maybe he is right. I'm
going to try to track down the guy who owns the rest of the car.

For now, the chassis with wheels is sitting in my front yard and looks real
cool. I stood out there for about an hour just looking at everything. I've
never gotten a good look at a frame from the top side before. For those who
are curious, I paid $500 for it all. If the front lower control arms were
in good condition then I think I would have gotten a good deal. Otherwise I
think I paid too much. My long term plans for the frame is to use it as a
pattern to make another out of aluminum -- if that can be done safely.
Maybe I can get my hands on some titanium instead? I know nothing about
welding titanium. I think the engine may have been badly overheated, so I
don't think anyone will try to make a running engine out of it. I might
custom polish, chrome or powder coat the intake, valve covers, etc for
another engine. But then maybe not.

See ya'll at the show in Georgia next month,
Walt Tampa, FL