Re: [DML] Delorean Parts prices Then and Now

Re: [DML] Delorean Parts prices Then and Now

No,the Main point that I was trying to MAKE is that our cars are
worth more in parts than as a car in whole!

I hate to tell you this but a DeLorean is not a Ferrari, as you compared it to in your letter. Also, it may come as a big surprise to you but the majority of vehicles out there, both new and used are worth far more in parts than they are complete. Don't believe me? Go to a local dealership and compare the price of a car on the lot with the prices of all the parts to build it from the parts department.

I for one spend alot of time around "exotic" or top end cars. Parts prices for the DeLorean aren't just cheap, they are easily and quickly available. The next time you complain about DeLorean parts prices think about this. A tune up for one of the several Mercedes I deal with costs several hundred dollars ($800 for a distributor cap)and requires several weeks of wait time to be shipped from Germany.

And because I don't post often I would like to add one more thought. What exactly is the definition of exotic? Does it have to be foreign? Rare? Expensive? I for one don't consider the DeLorean to be all that exotic. Don't get me wrong, I love my DeLorean, it's the only car I drive on a regular basis. But I drive it all the time because it is one of the cheapest vehicles to operate and maintain that I have access to. Maybe it just depends on each individuals surroundings. But compared to the 1967 Shelby GT 500 (valued at over $60,000) or the right hand drive Rolls Royce (worth who knows how much)I just don't consider the Delorean to be all that exotic. What about a Citroen? Or a Merkur? Are they exotics in this country?

Please don't take this as a personal attack, all this has been building for a while and I guess I'm just letting off some steam. I would be interested in anybody's feedback either off list or on.

Thank you,

Matthew D. Cooley
DMC VIN 5524