Re: [DML] Delorean Parts prices Then and Now

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Dick Ryan <deloreanbiker@xxxx> wrote:
> --- CBL302@xxxx wrote:
> What I did was averaged out the prices,and it came out
> to a average overall,whopping 52% INCREASE on AVERAGE
> over 1982 prices
> - - - - - - -
>
> I guess that is interesting, but I'm not sure what the
> word "whopping" adds to the message. Are you trying
> to say that you are surprised by the increase or do
> you feel that the increase cannot be justified by the
> passage of time? Seriously, I'm curious.

All in all, though I would long for 1982 prices, I think
> the pricing on most DeLorean parts is reasonably
> competitive with the parts for any other car, new or
> old.
>
> Just my 2¢
>
> Dick Ryan
> VIN 16867

No,the Main point that I was trying to MAKE is that our cars are
worth more in parts than as a car in whole! So what is happening is
Deloreans are being parted out,rather that being repaired,as you can
see on the auction sites,and parts for sale areas,With a decent
delorean averaging appox.$13,000,and one that needs work at well
UNDER $10,000,and the average parts Cost to repair ratio at $10,000+
(with labor),at TODAY'S prices would cost at least the same PRICE or
More (depending who does the labor)as the price of purchase, and then
you WOULD still have a Delorean at the $13,000 level (Not including
labor)THE other point is parts prices should be in line with the
VALUE of the car(our Deloreans did NOT increase by 52%++++++)So for
the people THAT are restoring or just trying to get their deloreans
running,they will buy used rather than new,hence the parting out of
Deloreans.ie:DO the MATH,Example: who wants to spend $7000.00 for a
NOS. Delorean Frame(not including labor)on a car that was bought for
$5000.00,PART IT !! That is what will happen to that car,unless
someone else parts out another Delorean,to fix that car,it becomes a
feeding frenzy!
Another example $5000.00 plus for a NOS motor or tranny on a $8,000
Delorean (again labor not included)again because of the worth of the
vehicle VS the cost of NOS,another Delorean has to be parted to fix
the $8,000 car,or that car becomes a parts car,a catch22,if you will,
when it comes to Deloreans.I do not know what your lifestyle or
income,but for some people to spend a $1000.00 for a NOS Fuel
Distrubtor,and then add about a dozen other NOS parts usually needed
and that will push,some people into either parting it,(if the parts
cannot be located used)or selling it for a low price,putting it into
the "buy" price range,of a car to buy for parts.Another
example:during the price inflation years on Ferraris,EVEN the MOST
wrecked or Burned Ferrari,would be brought back into mint condition
because their VALUE to PARTS was well worth investing the money into
NOS parts to repair them,TODAY you can even see ferraris being parted
out,because their NOS parts to(car) value has depreciated AND their
value as used parts HAS INCREASED!! BUT with Deloreans it is much
worse,the NOS parts to(car) value ratio is just,not there,therefore
like me, you have to be into it for the LOVE of the car.

Claude
000570