Re: Molds/Body Dies

Industrial Economics 101 time.

This thread comes up from time to time. What people seem to ignore is
simple economic forces. There were about 8000 cars made, Most of them
are still around in some form. The ones being driven are driven less
every year, hence exposed to lower chance of accidents. The ones that
are neglected or wrecked become parts cars for the others. As long as
these stay in equilibrium, there are enough used "hard" parts around
and the prices stay stable. In addition, it is amazing how badly a
stainless part can be bent, and still be repaired by a competent
worker. Not many stainless parts are bent badly enough to require
replacement without destroying the rest of the car.

So there is not, and probably never will be, a strong demand for
stainless parts. They are the most recyclable part of the car!

Think about the cost of reproducing the SS parts. No one will invest
the amount it would take, considering the small number of parts
needed in a reasonable amount of time. Keep in mind that the cost of
reproduction is not just the labor and the stainless, it includes the
cost of the machinery spread over the number of parts made in a
reasonable amount of time. It would take a long time to make back a
multi-million-dollar investment selling a few dozen fenders per year,
unless you charged more than the whole car is worth for each one!

The current vendors concentrate (lucky us) on parts that wear out or
deteriorate with age because that is where the demand and the profit
is. Original door struts, for example, from parts cars are valueless.

Dave Swingle